Thursday, November 26, 2009

365 Blessings- August 30


About Naphtali he said: "Naphtali is abounding with the favor of the Lord and is full of his blessing; he will inherit southward to the lake." (Deuteronomy 33:23)

Naphtali was the 5th son of Jacob, and the 2nd born to him by Rachel's handmaid, Bilhah. At his birth Rachel is said to have exclaimed, naphtule 'Elohim niphtalti, "wrestlings of God"--i.e. "mighty wrestlings"--"have I wrestled."("I have had a great struggle with my sister, and I have won.")
Since her sister was fruitful and giving birth to many children and because she herself was barren, the children her maid Bilhah bore were a source of consolation to her. Naming him thus, indicated that she had won the favor and blessing of God.

Rachel had to wait a long time to conceive a child by herself, but God had mercy on her and opened her womb and from her were born 2 sons to Jacob- Joseph & Benjamin.
Earlier she and Jacob had an argument when she was barren.
When Rachel saw that she was not bearing Jacob any children, she became jealous of her sister. So she said to Jacob, "Give me children, or I'll die!" Jacob became angry with her and said, "Am I in the place of God, who has kept you from having children?" (Genesis 30:1, 2)
An argument because of the frustrations in her life because of being barren.
But God had compassion on her and fulfilled her desire in his time.
Our God is a prayer answering God. He answers our prayers and that's why the psalmist says,
"Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me! (Psalm 66:20)"

Be strengthened this day. Whatever be your request, He will answer your prayer too.

No comments:

Post a Comment